you got the lights on in the afternoon and the nights are drawn out long

So I turned 16 yesterday.  That's a strange thing to think about, for some reason 16 seems like a much more monumental age than 15.  I realized I'm in something of an "age limbo" right now because I definitely don't feel 15 anymore, but I haven't really come to terms with the fact that I've been alive for 16 whole years just yet.  Yesterday was a wonderful day, though, I went into Chicago with my mom, and we went to the Driehaus museum and did some shopping after that.  The Driehaus museum is an impeccably restored Gilded Age mansion just off of Michigan Avenue.  Each room is a work of art in itself, and the house is filled with stunning Tiffany stained glass.  It really made me think about different types of light, the difference between natural and artificial light, the warm glow that an incandescent lamp gives off, the vivid brightness of stained glass etc.  I don't think I would be able to live in such a sumptuous house, but it's definitely worth a visit, especially if you live in the Chicago area.













This and the photo above it are flush handles on the toilets, which I found hilarious, so obviously I had to take a picture.

After a delicious dinner at Rose Angelis, a lovely Italian restaurant in Lincoln Park that my parents used to go to when they were first married, that my dad and brother joined us for, we went home for cake.  This one is from Bennison's, a local bakery in the town I live in where we've been getting our birthday cakes for years.  It was absolutely perfect, and I really wish I had those mad frosting skills.





Anyway, I hope you have all had a fantastic weekend, I wish you luck for the week ahead!  

xoxo
Anna

2 comments:

  1. I love these pictures! Happy belated birthday! x

    http://vogueescapade.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete